Eyes are precious organs and is one of the important sense organs.Most of what we learn and assimilate is visual.With changing lifestyles,the eyes are the most used and abused sense organs.Now with lockdown the only mode of entertainment for adults and kids alike has been the digital platform.Here are a few basic tips you can follow to take care of your eyes:
- Eye Hygiene:Do not touch,Do not rub, keep safe distance from gadgets,have proper illumination,take breaks and wear proper glasses.you cold do palming : a technique where one cups the eyes with your palms after warming them up by rubbing the palms together.This helps relax the eyes.
- Eat healthy: It is important to eat healthy in order to maintain healthy eyes. Medical practitioners believe that vitamins and anti oxidants slow down age related problems in the eye. You should be eating foods rich in Vitamin A, C and E, Zinc rich foods and foods with folic acid. Food items such as carrots, lettuce, spinach and kale can help in keeping your eyes healthy for longer.
- Wear dark sunglasses: Every time your eyes are exposed to the sun, they have to tolerate the harmful UV-A and UV-B rays. The ultraviolet rays can prove to be very damaging for your eyes as they affect the optic nerve. Hence, you should always wear dark coloured sunglasses in the sun to protect your eyes.
- Take breaks: Staring at a computer screen or a mobile screen all day can prove to be very harmful to your eyes. According to a study, when you stare a screen for too long, you blink lesser. This can lead to dry eyes.
- Get required rest: It is important to rest your eyes and free them of the strain they endure daily. Hence, you should aim to get at least 6-8 hours of sleep time daily to give them the required rest time.
- Quit smoking: Smoking cigarettes can be harmful for your eyes as it increases chances of macular degeneration and cataracts. Smoking also increases chances of optic nerve damage as it impairs blood circulation to the eyes.
- Eye yoga: Eye Yoga is an ancient method of relaxing your eyes.It exercises all the eye muscles and hence helps one to focus well and keep the eyes relaxed.