LASIK or laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, is a surgical procedure that permanently changes the shape of cornea. It is done by using Excimer Laser to correct vision diabilities caused by refractive errors.
Lasik eye surgery is being done since mid-90s and its long-term results are still being evaluated. The fact remains that the visual results obtained are getting better by the day and more and more people are opting for the procedure. It has a lot of beneficial effects and if performed well it’s a beautiful procedure with a wow effect, with a lot of patients being happier about their decision. The long term benefits that have been established by various researchers, surgeons and patients are:
- Freedom from corrective lenses/glasses: The most obvious and long-term benefit of lasik surgery is the freedom from glasses and contact lenses. This freedom from corrective lenses allows the person to freely enjoy sports, travel, and other routine activities.
- The effects of laser eye surgery are permanent: Lasik surgery makes slight changes in the shape of cornea. Once healed, all these adjustments become permanent and the patient experiences improved sight for a very long time to come.
- Lasik is modifiable: In very rare cases if refractive errors persist, even after surgery, revision surgeries can be done.
- Lasik is safe and effective procedure: Lasik is the safest of all vision correcting procedures that gives improved,clear vision and removes dependency on aids like glasses or contact lenses.
- Lasik causes less post-operative pain: Although some pain/discomort is associated with the procedure initially,it subsides in few days.
- Cornea remains healthy: Retrospective analysis of patients treated with lasik shows healthy cornea and accurate vision even after 10 or more years.
- More Success rates than complications:The success rates with Lasik are higher.It is very rarely associated with complications. In some cases, minor complications may occur within few weeks of the surgery that are easily manageable.
- WOW effect: It’s a WOW for most patients,especially with higher numbers and those who are completely dependant on glasses first thing in the morning. Patients enjoy corrected sight almost immediately after the procedure.
- Quick Recovery : Quicker recoveries and minimal absence fom work is an added advantage. Patient can return to work within 3 days after surgery.
- Happiness Quotient: Majority of the patients are happy, pleased and relieved with the results and enjoy lifetime of improved vision and spectacle independence.
- Satisfaction: Above all, lasik surgery has a patient satisfaction rate of more than 95 percent.