When a patient decides to undergo LASIK surgery, there are certain pre requisite evaluations that the eye surgeon needs to perform in order to determine that the patient is a good candidate for Lasik Eye Surgery in terms of safety of the eye. It includes the following:
- Thorough eye examination:The LASIK surgeon performs a complete eye examination including but not limited to the following in order to ensure the safety and integrity of the eyes for the procedure. It includes:
- Shape and thickness of the cornea
- Pupil size
- Refractive errors (like myopia, hyperopia and astigmatism)
- Eye moistness to avoid eye dryness after the procedure
- Any other eye conditions
- Corneal topography:The LASIK Surgeon will measure the curvature and thickness of the front surface of eye and create a “map” of the cornea by using a corneal topographer.
- Wavefront analysis: A more precise map of vision affecting aberrations is formed by wavefront technology.
- General health and any history of medication including allergy details to determine the suitability for Lasik surgery.
- Any previous eye surgery or trauma
Other than the evaluations performed by the eye surgeon, there are certain guidelines for patients too. These guidelines should be followed around 2 weeks before the surgery or as advised by the LASIK surgeon:
- Stop wearing contact lenses: Patient should use eye glasses full-time 15 days before eye examination and the LASIK procedure. This is because contact lenses can change the natural shape of cornea. If not removed, contact lenses can have negative consequences like wrong measurements that can result in poor vision after surgery.
- Discuss the risks, benefits, and alternatives of the surgery with your LASIK surgeon to make a final decision. Also have a detailed information of what to expect before, during, and after the surgery. Always see that you make an informed decision.
- Stop using creams, lotions/after shaves, makeup and perfumes from a day before the surgery .These affect the function of laser and may also be a source of infection. The patient is advised by the doctor to scrub the eyes with mild soap and water to remove all these to ensure a safe surgery.
- Arrange for transportation as the patient is not allowed to drive before and after the surgery.
- Initial evaluation and surgery cannot be done on the same day and enough time should be given to the patient and surgeon to fully contemplate the effects and make an informed decision.
- Patient and Surgeon should definitely meet on the day of surgery to answer any more queries and make him feel comfortable, at ease and confidant.